Natchitoches Parish Communication District
Minimum Requirements for Employment
Following are minimum standards applicable to all employment positions:
- High school graduate or equivalent (ged)
- Age requirement – minimum of 18
- Must be able to monitor audible information from multiple sources (telephone, radio and co-workers) in an open space and/or noisy environment.
- Ability to multi-task; simultaneous typing (rapid keyboarding), talking on the radio, answering multiple telephone calls, and switching between computer screens and applications.
- Color vision adequate to determine various console lighting arrangements and able to see within normal visual range with or without correction.
- Read, interpret, understand and follow written and oral instructions and/or information in english
- Ability to speak clearly, concisely and with a professional courteous voice inflection
- Requires physical ability to work in a confined office space/emergency dispatch center setting; stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; push, pull, lift and/or carry light to moderate weights; requires a sense of touch, finger dexterity, and gripping with hands and fingers.
- Free from any physical, mental or functional instability which may tend to impair efficient performance of duty or which might endanger the lives of others.
- Shall not have been convicted of any felony
- Must live within 35 miles of the rpcd center
- Must be a registered voter in the state of Louisiana
- Able to type a minimum of 30 wpm
- Deal tactfully with the general public as well as maintaining an effective working relationship with co-workers and law enforcement, fire and EMS officials.
- Willingness to work on weekends, holidays and at odd or irregular hours (shiftwork)
- Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction
- Ability to work under pressure; exercising good judgement and common sense while making sound decisions in emergency situations.
- Ability to transition from periods of mental and physical inactivity to periods of intense and stressful mental and physical activities at a moments notice
- Learn and adhere to computer aided dispatch (cad) systems and other related technology.
- Learn and remember locations and common place names of highways, major streets, commercial and public bldgs, etc. Read and interpret various mapping devices and relay pertinent information.
- Ability to wear a headset